Thomas Edison is much more of an inspiration than you think;
Most of us remember Thomas Edison as the genius inventor, responsible for sustainable light bulbs, the motion picture, the phonograph and the other 1090 odd inventions of his that helped change and shape the world as it is today.
But what you may not have known, is just how much Thomas Edison had experienced failure in his lifetime before becoming successful.
I was listening to the late Greg Plitt’s speech on Edison recently. In which he explained that Edison had been labelled as retarded when he was just a child.
He couldn’t speak until he was 4 years old. He was removed from school after being called retarded. He failed at every single job he had, until finally…
Edison became a successful inventor. Greg touched on the point that it was perhaps because of his earlier life, that he stuck at inventing things for so long. All his life he’d experienced failure; so when he started failing with every invention he was trying to create at the time, it was just an average day to him.
Hence, he kept on going because he loved what he did, and finally succeeded after failing over 1000 times.
Still think you’re incapable of achieving great things?
Here are some of the most famous Thomas Edison quotes to help you eliminate those doubts in your mind. You are capable of great success.
33 Famous Thomas Edison Quotes
1. “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas Edison
2. “Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have.” – Thomas Edison
3. “The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work.” – Thomas Edison
4. “Hell, there are no rules here – we’re trying to accomplish something.” – Thomas Edison
5. “I never did a day’s work in my life. It was all fun.” – Thomas Edison
6. “What you are will show in what you do.” – Thomas Edison
7. “I never did anything by accident, nor did any of my inventions come by accident; they came by work.” – Thomas Edison
8. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
9. “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas Edison
10th of 33 Thomas Edison Quotes
10. “There’s a way to do it better – find it.” – Thomas Edison
11. “If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.” – Thomas Edison
12. “Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.” – Thomas Edison
13. “The three great essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense.” – Thomas Edison
14. “Being busy does not always mean real work. The object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing.” – Thomas Edison
15. “Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless.” – Thomas Edison
16. “To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.” – Thomas Edison
17. “Nearly every man who develops an idea works it up to the point where it looks impossible, and then he gets discouraged. That’s not the place to become discouraged.” – Thomas Edison
18th of 33 Thomas Edison Quotes
18. “We don’t know a millionth of one percent about anything.” – Thomas Edison
19. “Waste is worse than loss. The time is coming when every person who lays claim to ability will keep the question of waste before him constantly. The scope of thrift is limitless.” – Thomas Edison
20. “Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure.” – Thomas Edison
21. “I have far more respect for the person with a single idea who gets there than for the person with a thousand ideas who does nothing.” – Thomas Edison
22. “Our schools are not teaching students to think. It is astonishing how many young people have difficulty in putting their brains definitely and systematically to work.” – Thomas Edison
23. “When I have fully decided that a result is worth getting I go ahead of it and make trial after trial until it comes.” – Thomas Edison
24th of 33 Thomas Edison Quotes
24. “Anything that won’t sell, I don’t want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.” – Thomas Edison
25. “Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.” – Thomas Edison
26. “Be courageous. I have seen many depressions in business. Always America has emerged from these stronger and more prosperous. Be brave as your fathers before you. Have faith! Go forward!” – Thomas Edison
27. “It is astonishing what an effort it seems to be for many people to put their brains definitely and systematically to work.” – Thomas Edison
28. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison
29. “I start where the last man left off.” – Thomas Edison
30. “The thing I lose patience with the most is the clock. Its hands move too fast…” – Thomas Edison
31. “Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits.” – Thomas Edison
32. “Until man duplicates a blade of grass, nature can laugh at his so-called scientific knowledge…” – Thomas Edison
33. “One might think that the money value of an invention constitutes its reward to the man who loves his work. But… I continue to find my greatest pleasure, and so my reward, in the work that precedes what the world calls success.” – Thomas Edison
Thanks for checking out these famous Thomas Edison quotes.
I really had no idea just how difficult Thomas Edison had it early on in his life. It just goes to show that we really can’t doubt what we’re capable of. If you find something you love, and you stick with it; you can go far in the world.