|Real Name||António Manuel de Oliveira Guterres|
|Party||Socialist Party of Portugal|
|Political Journey||• He set his feet in the politics in 1974 when he came into Socialist Party.|
• Head of Office of the Secretary of State of Industry (1974 and 1975).
• He became the deputy for Lisbon, and later Castelo Branco in the National Parliament of Portuguese (1976–1995), during which he was accountable for several parliamentary commissions.
• Later he became the leader of the parliamentary bench of the Socialist Party, succeeding Jorge Sampaio (1988).
• He became Secretary-General of the Socialist Party and leader of the opposition against Aníbal Cavaco Silva’s government in 1992.
• In September 1992, he was also nominated as vice-president of the Socialist International.
• In General Election of 1995, Socialist Party won the majority and Guterres was sworn in as Prime Minister of Portugal.
• In 1999, Guterres was re-elected, and he occupied the Presidency of the European Council from January to July 2000.
• His second term was not successful due to Hintze Ribeiro Bridge disaster, he lost his popularity and later in 2001 he resigned from the post.
• Guterres was voted for High Commissioner for Refugees by the UN General Assembly in May 2005.
• The United Nations Security Council has announced that António Guterres will be the next secretary general of United Nation. He will hold this position from 1st January 2017.
|Awards and Nominations||• Awards won by António Guterres in 2000|
Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold (Belgium)
Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III (Spain)
Grand Cross of the Order of Honour (Greece)
• Awards won by António Guterres in 2001
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (Italy)
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit (Chile)
First Degree of the Order of Amílcar Cabral (Cape Verde)
• Awards received by António Guterres in 2002
Collar of the Order of Isabella the Catholic (Spain)
Grand Cross of the Order of Christ (Portugal)
Grand Cross of the National Order of Merit (France)
Grand Cross of the Order of the Southern Cross (Brazil)
Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun (Japan)
Grand Cordon of the Order of the Republic (Tunisia)
Order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise, First Class (Ukraine)
• Awards won by António Guterres in 2016
Grand Cross of the Order of Liberty (Portugal)
|Biggest Rival||Fernando Nogueira|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 170 cm|
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”(approx.)
|Weight||in Kilograms- 77 kg(approx.)|
in Pounds- 170 lbs
|Eye Colour||Light Brown|
|Date of Birth||30 April 1949|
|Age (as in 2016)||67 Years|
|Birth Place||Lisbon, Portugal|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Taurus|
|School||Camões Secondary School|
|College||Instituto Superior Técnico, University of Lisbon|
|Educational Qualifications||Degrees in Physics and Electrical Engineering|
|Family||Father– Virgílio Dias Guterres|
Mother– Ilda Cândida de Oliveira
Brother– Not Known
Sister– Not Known
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Luísa Amélia Guimarães e Melo (1972-1998)|
Catarina de Almeida Vaz Pinto (M. 2001)
|Children||Son– Pedro Guimarães e Melo Guterres|
Daughter– Mariana Guimarães e Melo de Oliveira Guterres
|Net Worth (approx.)||Not Known|